View Single Post
Old 06-21-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Standard Deviation of those of you who use pokertracker.

[ QUOTE ]
I'll respond to this when I get home and look at my numbers - as I don't remember what they are.

Also remember that most good players make around 9-10 BB / 100.

[/ QUOTE ]

so its effectively 4.5-5 big bets (double the big blind)/100 in limit terms.

well see now that puts me in a statistical pickle (lovely sound based alliteration lol). when you're bb/100 goes up, your variance goes up(except when you're bb/100 is like "-2" then going from -2 to 0 decreases your variance. similarly going from 0-1.5bb/100 will drive your variance down a bit but then going from 1.5bb/100 to 2 or higher bb/100 will again push your variance up b/c now you're pushing every small edge). but i was always told that limit is "more variance" than nl b/c nl players have more "control" over their game than do limit player (a good fold/good steal is hrader to achieve in limit and will usually save you a fraction of a big bet/win you a small pot)..

so am i now to believe that since the ev of nl on average in terms of big bets/100 (or 2xbig blinds/100) is higher? Then it is no longer true that NL is less variable than limit on average..

interesting.

-Barron

PS- i find it hard to believe that anybody who is a winning player has a standard devation of 30bb/100.