View Single Post
Old 06-20-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Isn\'t the Bible anti-gambling?

[ QUOTE ]
Numbers 26:52-56: "And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying ... the land shall be divided by lot."

Joshua 18:6: "Ye shall therefore describe the land into seven parts, and bring the description hither to me, that I may cast lots for you here before the LORD our God."

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen these two quotes used before to somehow provide a biblical endorsement for gambling, yet in no way are either of these two gambling. They are simply ways of assigning who gets what. For it to be gambling, there would have to be a loser, and in these two cases, there simply isn't one.

As for the third quote:

[ QUOTE ]
Acts 1:23-26: "And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias. And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen.... And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles."

[/ QUOTE ]

This, to answer David, is clearly where God does know the outcome. No gambling here either, because the outcome is predetermined and the casting of lots is simply a way of showing God's choice.

And finally, if an audience full of Jews can enjoy "The Producers", then Daniel can clearly get over Jesus and the Unabomber.