Thread: GSIH vs SSH
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2005, 09:07 PM

Default Re: GSIH vs SSH

I wish I had a copy on me so I could quote it, but I address this concern in the text of GSIH. I argue that beginners should raise more often before the flop than experts.

When you raise preflop with a good hand, you are letting the power of the hand earn money for you. When you limp preflop with a good hand, you are relying on your postflop skills to earn money for you. (Obviously, this is greatly simplified.) Beginners should tend to rely on the strength of their hands more than the strength of their postflop play.

Furthermore, I wanted to make it clear to beginners that cold-calling raises is generally bad. I don't think I recommend making any cold-calls at all in GSIH. In SSH I say that cold-calling is bad, but then make exceptions to the rule. Beginners get rules, not exceptions.

So basically, the answer to any question along the lines of, "Why does GSIH recommend something different from SSH?" will be:

GSIH is written with beginners in mind. SSH is written with experienced players in mind.