View Single Post
Old 06-20-2005, 06:55 PM

Default BS detector going haywire; rightfully so?

through a family member who knows someone who knows someone, we got some information about a pioneering German cancer treatment called "Parapox"

my wife called a US # to speak to a Dr. Richard Myung who proceeded to endlessly spew a bunch of technical jargon about this immunotherapy treatment how it cures 80% of cancer patients, its pending approval by the FDA and the makers will surely get Nobel prizes for this groundbreaking work.

he follows up by e-mailing:
1. an abstract which describes how the stuff works and how this treatment has proven clinical enhancement for depression, herpes, mono as well as cancer...
2. a testimonial
3. treatment packages, which describes how much the whole thing will cost (does not include the plane to Germany but includes airport pickup, hotel + of course, the Dr's consultation and the 10 initial shots of this stuff)

They require 20k USD upfront paid to a LLC in Reno (40k, for the "premium" package or, if you're really serious, the "royal" package for 50k)

just wanted to hear from the 2+2 faithful, but this sounds like a scam to me b/c;

1. something that cures 80% of cancer patients would be global-headline making news, right?
2. most doctors i've ever talked to don't try to confuse you with technical terms and explain things in a way that is understandable to a lay person.
3. how can this "doctor" know that this set of shots will cure the cancer without even knowing our particular case?
4. a real treatment regimen wouldn't be laid out and priced like a set of carwash options, right?

...this is BS, isn't it?