View Single Post
Old 06-20-2005, 06:34 PM

Default Adjusting to the SoCal LAG

Villian is drinking and gambling. After studying him for 2 hours, I am quite impressed with his postflop play - he reads hands and players well and is picking up far more pots than he should be. He is the prototypical SoCal "fish" - he loses, but on any given night he can send a weak-tight player home broke and crying to his mama. At the moment this hand came up, he was on a tear, playing 75% of his hands for a raise PF.

Villian open-raises from MP - this indicates he has anything except unsuited unconnectors. 2 tight-predictable coldcallers, SB (unknown) calls, I make a bad call in the BB with QTo. Got caught up in gambling fever, I guess.

Flop is QsTs3s. SB checks, I bet, villian raises, folded back to me and I just call, with the intention of checkraising a blank turn.

Turn is a blank. I checkraise. He 3-bets. It is the first time he has 3-bet a big-bet street since I've been at the table. I call.

River is a blank. I check. He bets and says, "you call, you lose." I called.

My flop and turn play were quite different than what would be considered standard, but I wanted to get the most out of him if he held absolute crap, which was likely. There was virtually no chance of him checking behind the turn - he had not done it since I'd been there, and my line on the flop looked very much like I was drawing, or could be pushed off the hand, or both.

The river decision was also not clear. I am looking at top 2 pair, and he could have 3-bet the turn with AsQx. But I called because he had bet or raised at every opportunity, and I thought the risk that a 3-bet (that I would have to pay off) was too great.

Did I overthink this hand, or are these adjustments reasonable?