View Single Post
Old 06-20-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Newbie question about playing the bubble with big stack

[ QUOTE ]
I think the important concept that you need to consider is your opponents mindset. Especially for short stacks, when there are 4 people left, most of them are thinking of only 1 thing: I hope I can outlast that other guy and get 4th. Last night a guy in a game I was playing had 335 going into the BB of 300 and FOLDED to a raise. He was hoping for...I have no idea what. I guess that his SB hand would be great and he'd triple? People want to fold SOOO badly on the bubble. Be careful of larger stacks (unless you know they aren't going to put up a fight until after the bubble), but if you have a big stack you can be crazy with your raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been finding that this isn't exactly correct. While there are certainly players who will fold with 2xBB from the BB, those are pretty easy to spot, and you can certainly push any two against them with a big stack. I've found that the donks are evenly distributed between the "hope to fold into the money" crowd and the "he pushed twice last orbit, he must have 23o, so I'll call his push with K8o or A2o" crowd. I think it's pretty important not to assume that all the mid-stacks are in the first crowd when you have a big stack. But again, in a big stack situation near or on the bubble, I'd of course err on the side of aggression.