View Single Post
Old 06-20-2005, 01:04 PM

Default Re: RAYMER...not so good?

It's funny how many players dismiss another's talent, regardless of specific results. I was sitting in a tournament at the WSOP with two professional players (both of whom are 10-year+ veterans) and they were laughing about Greg (they referred to him as "the dweeb") as well as Moneymaker and Varkonyi. The fact is, the two players at my table are very good players, and I respect their ability, but it just sounds like sour grapes to me. Neither of these players has a WSOP bracelet [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img], and they were basicly slumming in one of the $220 tournaments (with me, another slum bum).

I admit that after being in many tournaments over the years I know that sometimes a player runs hot, and that has a lot to do with final table appearances, but in my humble opinion, you gotta win one semi-major tournament to talk chit, and you have to win a second to prove the first wasn't an accident.

In other words, I don't really listen to what is said by anybody that doesn't have that first win, and I hold my opinion about a player that has won one - until they win a second, although with someone like Greg, even if he never won another WSOP tournament, the fact that he has been among the chip leaaders on second and third days of other tournaments ceratinly says something. I talked to Greg a few days ago, and he had no idea who I was (why should he), and he was very nice. I also watched some fans come by and ask for photos, photo with wife etc. and Greg was very accomodating - this too is the sign of a true professional, and a true champion.

Does Moneymaker win in side games? Poker is a game that allows you to hide you loses, and inflate you wins if that happens to be you inclination. Who knows. He's still playing in upper limit games, right?

Sorry for rambling, but if you talk the talk, you gotta walk the walk.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]