View Single Post
Old 06-20-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Thought of the Day - Rigged Poker and Chess

I'm not necessarily convinced that online poker is rigged, I dont really think that there's evidence of it, but I think that there is enough grey area to be a little suspicious that some sites out there might be rigged given the general lack of regulation.

Why would they rig it? Well fairly obviously if they did it would be a matter of keeping fish in the tank and indeed growing the number. More players means a bigger rake and if you plan on floating at some point then a better share price. Of course it is debatable as to whether you actually need to rig given the nature of Hold'em which is generally a nice game for the fish anyway.

How would you rig? Obviously rigging wouldnt be against a specific individual or in a specific individual's favour, you'd simply adjust the distribution of cards to ensure a few more suckouts for the sharks and a few extra wins for the fish. I'm not clear how anyone would ever know given that you did a good job with the algorithm. Basically everyone would get the same cards over time but you'd lose with a good hand more often as more big hands would trip over each other.

Is it even possible? As a senior software developer with some experience in writing financial modelling software I wouldnt be willing to say its impossible. Especially given the sums available in the industry, if someone with resources was motivated I reckon that they could rig and you would never likely never see it.

On balance I dont think its likely that the sites are rigged though. I see things happen online that sometimes makes my mouth drop, I dont see this stuff in B&M but then I dont play thousands of hands there either.