View Single Post
Old 06-19-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Rifle I saw and other gun talk

I'm not familiar with the Mini-30, but I have a Mini-14 (basically the same gun in .223 Remington). It's a good plinker and target rifle, but certainly nothing for long-range precision shooting. Assuming the Mini-30 is comparable, I'd guess that that scope is extreme over-kill for that rifle.

You should be able to get a new Mini-30 for around $500. (See gunbroker.com for prices.) I'd guess you could spend another $100-150 for a good scope that is still better than the Mini-30 shoots.

A lot depends on what you want it for. You might want to look at the Mini-14. I would think that the .223 would be a better round than the 7.62x39mm for targets and such, unless you need it for something like pest control. I bought mine a few years back, but if I remember right (and I usually don't) I paid about $500 new, mounted with a decent scope, from a big sporting goods chain.

The 30 round mag should be cheap and readily available with the Assault Weapon Ban gone the way of the dodo. (And we've all seen the blood in the streets as a result of that.)