View Single Post
Old 06-18-2005, 11:16 PM

Default General \"lead out on the flop\" question

Leading out on the flop in a raised pot is something I almost never do and its something that I always see people here saying that should be done. Assuming that you guys are right, I need to make some changes in how I play when I call raises. Im just not sure of the logic behind it.

Assume $400 stacks and blinds of $2/$4

Example #1) I limp UTG with TT. MP raises to $16. I call and we're heads up.

Pot is $38. The flop is 982. I would normally check here and see what he does. Most times hes going to have overcards or a higher pair than me. If hes LAG or raises suited connectors thats a different story. Im assuming a typical player here.

I assume most people here would say to lead the flop, but if I lead out for $30 and he flat calls Im stuck in no mans land. If he raises, then I assume its a fold. What do you do if you lead and he flat calls and the turn is a brick? Most people I play against wont call my flop bet with AK or AQ so he probably has me beat if he calls. Do I check/fold?

Example #2) I limp with AK and get raised to $16. I call and we're heads up.

Pot $38. Flop K83. Wouldnt you rather check raise the inevitable continuation bet here than lead out and let him fold anything but AK, KK or AA?

Ive been reading this forum for 5-6 months now and most of the times I agree with the advice given, but when it comes to how I play a hand after calling a raise, my game varies greatly from what i see here, so I think I need to rework this part of my game.