Thread: Home gyms
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2005, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Home gyms

[ QUOTE ]
Doing 500 or 1000 of anything, especially anything "explosive," means your pushing yourself pretty hard and have to be extremely careful not to get repetitive use injuries or use anything less than the most perfect form imaginable -- and the latter becomes a lot harder of course once you've done all that many. It only takes one slip, after all, to screw up.

It also suggests tension build-up that needs to be regularly relieved with adequate stretching. I've frankly rarely known anyone who does adequate stretching by my understanding, and I doubt I'll meet many people who give stretching their due. Most people do little or none and/or do it very badly, even dangerously. I would expect people doing 500 or 1000 difficult full-body movements to get a fair share of injuries, or maybe just hidden cumulative wear and tear damage, after a while. Most people do not have the discipline to take care of themselves well enough and keep proper form well enough for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a former Navy SEAL who has written a few fitness books (Stew Smith) and he wrote in the beginning chapter of one his books that if he could only recommend one thing for people to do to improve their fitness it would be to take up yoga. I may have misquoted him a bit but the bottom line is he thinks stretching is very very important.