View Single Post
Old 06-18-2005, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Durbin\'s Comments About Detainees Treatment At Gitmo

You say:
[ QUOTE ]
What report are you referring to? Durbin cited a report by an FBI agent and not a military report. Nice try at revisionismm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yet I said:
[ QUOTE ]
I believe he's referring to the 2000 page recently declassified report that was released.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your accusation of revisionism falls flat. Perhaps you were unclear how "I believe" modifies the statement?

Second, the fact that both the 2000 page military report AND the report that by an FBI agent both corroborrate that torture has taken place only strengthens the case that torture is taking place.

[ QUOTE ]
As many have pointed out comaring Guantanamo detainee treatment to the treatment that Nazi's would dole out is offensive to many in that it trivializes what the crimes of the Nazi's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have already said in another thread that I thought a lot of people on both sides are quick to compare people to Nazis. Both sides do it. (just so people can't pretend its one sided, both Pat Buchanan and Rick Santorum both did it recently) I have also repeatedly said that people who get outraged over inappropriate analogies OVER the fact that people are being tortured have their priorities screwed up.

[ QUOTE ]
Since your another arbiter of the truth what is the truth and how do you back up this claim about most people?

[/ QUOTE ]

Look on this forum. Many conservatives admit that torture is happening (many of them excuse it, but they don't deny it.) Both the Military reports and FBI have confirmed this. The people who are doubting it are just arbitrarily deciding all the investigations are wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
The American people are entitled to know the truth and if Durbin can further that end then he should do so. If he can't produce the report then one has to question his motives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it your contention that he's making up reports because its not in your hands? If so, you're ridiculous. Who besides partisan whacks on this board is doubting the existence of the report? Sheesh.

[ QUOTE ]
All you have to do is produce the report that Durbin is referring to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately you may not get access to FBI reports. Has the FBI denied the existence of the report? If you want to pretend that he's made a report, that's fine. If its not in your hands, its probably not real. Usually you get all FBI reports... can't imagine why you weren't cc'd on this one.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm starting to think either this report doesn't exist or that Durbin is misconstruing the contents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah... that makes sense. If the report isn't shown to you, it probably doesn't exist. Again... I haven't heard the FBI deny the existence of the report or anyone else. But if the FBI doesn't give you access to all their reports.. then they probably don't exist. You made a GREAT argument.

Maybe you should write the FBI and make sure you get clearance for all internal memos. Since nothing is real unless you have it.