View Single Post
Old 06-17-2005, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Durbin\'s Comments About Detainees Treatment At Gitmo

[ QUOTE ]
the funny part about this is that people arbitrarily decide there are multiple reports, that they then choose the report they like best.

I believe he's referring to the 2000 page recently declassified report that was released. Its not like picking your favorite newspaper. Its an official military report.

[/ QUOTE ]

What report are you referring to? Durbin cited a report by an FBI agent and not a military report. Nice try at revisionismm.

[ QUOTE ]
Most people with half a brain aren't contesting what's been going on in the prisons... they're objecting to Durbin's choice of words.

[/ QUOTE ]

As many have pointed out comaring Guantanamo detainee treatment to the treatment that Nazi's would dole out is offensive to many in that it trivializes what the crimes of the Nazi's. Since your another arbiter of the truth what is the truth and how do you back up this claim about most people? The American people are entitled to know the truth and if Durbin can further that end then he should do so. If he can't produce the report then one has to question his motives.

[ QUOTE ]
The people pretending that he's cherry-picking what reports he refers to are laughable.

[/ QUOTE ]

All you have to do is produce the report that Durbin is referring to. I would really like to see it and make my own evaluation rather than Durbin make it for me thank you very much.. Any links or posted copies would be greatly appreciated. I thought it would be a simple matter to produce this report but I couldn't find it. I searched the Congressional record and counldn't find it among other places. I'm starting to think either this report doesn't exist or that Durbin is misconstruing the contents. You believe it's laughable that a politician would practive demagoguery by selectively using reports that supported his political aims (or even worse fabricating information)? Now that is what I call laughable.

A follow up article regarding Durbin's comments:

Senator Regrets if Remarks Misunderstood

From the article:

Durbin made the comparison after reading an
FBI agent's report describing detainees at the Naval base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, as being chained to the floor without food or water in extreme temperatures.

"If I read this to you and did not tell you that it was an FBI agent describing what Americans had done to prisoners in their control, you would most certainly believe this must have been done by Nazis, Soviets in their gulags, or some mad regime — Pol Pot or others — that had no concern for human beings," Durbin said Tuesday.

Waiting for a yet another revision to history where the FBI agents report is part of some nebulous military report.

On Friday, Durbin tried to clarify the issue. "My statement in the Senate was critical of the policies of this Administration, which add to the risk our soldiers face," he said in a statement released Friday afternoon. "I have learned from my statement that historical parallels can be misused and misunderstood. I sincerely regret if what I said caused anyone to misunderstand my true feelings: Our soldiers around the world and their families at home deserve our respect, admiration and total support."

Durbin acknowledging that he more or less went over the top and offended many by his comments because there actually is no comparision between Gitmo detainees treatment and treatment of that the Nazis and Soviets dished out to their enemies.

The Anti-Defamation League on Thursday had joined lawmakers and other groups in calling for an apology.

Suggesting some kind of equivalence between (U.S. military) interrogation tactics demonstrates a profound lack of understanding about the horrors that Hitler and his regime actually perpetrated," the league said in a letter to Durbin that was posted to its Web site.

I guess another group with half a brain.

Durbin had said Thursday that he had never brought U.S. soldiers into the comparison in the first place, and that he was criticizing the approved interrogation methods described in an FBI memo obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request.

First reference I've seen to some details about the report. Why hasn't Durbin been forthcoming as to what report it is? Want to bet any money that there are government reports available that would contradict what Durbin is saying?