View Single Post
Old 06-16-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Anyone watch \"30 days\" of FX?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I ran an ice-cream stand or pizza parlor, I sure as hell wouldn't hire that extra employee I had been considering if it was a marginal decision in the first and THEN they raised the minimum wage substantially. Screw it, I'd just do the extra work myself.

[/ QUOTE ]u obviously aren't an entrepreneur

u want the least skilled worker possible doing each job...

and re: economics

don't u think your opportunity cost is WAY higher than minimum wage? if not, then you're not a successful business person

NO entrepreneur would want to work overtime serving customers when he can pay employees to serve them...entrepreneurs work on the processes and leave the unskilled work to low wage employees

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Nicholas have YOU ever run a SMALL business? When my partner and I did, we DID do some of the menial work ourselves to save money and cut corners--and because we were pretty damn efficient at it (compared to others who worked for us). We also sometimes HAD to do it, on occasions when our guy(s) didn't show up for work at all. So what you're saying does apply somewhat but only to a point.

If a SMALL business owner can't do nearly every person's job who works for him, better and faster than the employees can do it themselves, then that entrepreneur probably doesn't know enough about his own business and doesn't truly know it from the ground up (obviously this applies more to SMALL businesses than to large businesses).

As I posted above, we once fired a good worker because after some time we figured out that we were paying him too much. We took up the slack ourselves until we found someone who would do the work cheaper. By the way this was contract labor not an hourly wage but the same principle could apply given the right hourly wage and work conditions. Besides, it won't necessarily kill the owner(s) to put in some 70 hour weeks instead of 55 hour weeks for a while. That can at times actually be better than making a poor hiring decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, and there is more to it than that

you do have to do the work yourself in the beginning, as you can't be the expert and improve it unless you know how to do those jobs...

HOWEVER

that is SEPARATE from minimum wage increases...

you may hire less at first to get it off the ground and running, while also learning yourself so you can make more improvements...

but if you are a true entrepreneur (and entrepreneur is NOT defined as someone who starts and runs a small business...it's a methodology and philosophy)

taking up some slack because someone doesn't show up or as a bandaid during a gap while finding a replacement is also SEPARATE from minimum wage increases

the fact of the matter is: even if minimum wage increases, minimum wage is still the LEAST you can pay someone...therefore you can't just replace those employees with cheaper labor...and substituting urself in is not a good economic replacement...again, opportunity cost