View Single Post
Old 06-16-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Paying a homeless person to eat dog poop

[ QUOTE ]
If the bum finds it demeaning or degrading, and he has a problem with degrading himself, then he shouldn't do it. That's his right.

Jake, this is the issue that people who say it's immoral have, that while the bum may have the right to refuse to do the act, he does not have the choice because he needs the $100 so much.

It's like dangling someone over a vat of lava and saying that if they eat dog poop you will rescue them but otherwise they will shortly fall to their death. You could say that if they don't wish to eat the poop that's their right, but actually they have no effective choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

The lava thing is a horrible analogy. The bum was not put in this siutation by the supersize me guy. He is not responsible for his situation in the least.

I personally don't find it wrong at all. In this exchange, no one suffers, and everyone benefits.

My physics teacher used to tell me stories about some bars that used to feature Midget Tossing. The midgets were paid employees of the bar. They would wear safety gear with handles, and people would have contests to see how far they could throw the midgets (onto a mat of course). Eventually, some uptight people protested this practice, and the government made it illegal. Afterward, many of these previously middle class midgets found themselves without jobs, and seeing this practice go literally ruined their lives.

I think that is a MUCH better analogy than your lava BS.