View Single Post
Old 06-16-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Paying a homeless person to eat dog poop

[ QUOTE ]
If the bum finds it demeaning or degrading, and he has a problem with degrading himself, then he shouldn't do it. That's his right.

Jake, this is the issue that people who say it's immoral have, that while the bum may have the right to refuse to do the act, he does not have the choice because he needs the $100 so much.

It's like dangling someone over a vat of lava and saying that if they eat dog poop you will rescue them but otherwise they will shortly fall to their death. You could say that if they don't wish to eat the poop that's their right, but actually they have no effective choice.

I think what's immoral is that society allows someone to be in that situation in the first place, once people have the freedom to eat, have shelter and have relative safety from being beaten up, offers like this cease to be immoral because choice actually exists.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with pretty much everything you sdaid here. I think people always have a choice. I think that the vast majority of bums are bums because of other choices they've made. I don't think "society" has a responsibility to feed, clothe, or provide medical care for anyone. Not only that, I bvelive the truly immoral ones are the people that would deprive me of the right to spend my $100 as I choose, and deprive the bum of the right to earn the $100 if he chooses. These are the same people that would steal what is mine to give it to people that haven't earned it in the name of society's responsibility. I don't want to turn this into a political debate so feel free to end it here or respond once as you see fit. I'm not going to argue that anymore.