View Single Post
Old 06-15-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Limit Holdem tougher competition than NL tournements?

I heard Chis Ferguson and a few others say that due to the incresed fields in NL tournemnts, limit holdem tournemnts are seemingly more difficult to beat. I completly agree, but would like to see others opinions on this statement.
Limit holdem tournemnts seem to be made up of, in the most part, competent, well rounded players. This new growth of NL tourney players who play an agressive coinflip/race style, would most likey be ground out of a limit tourney by simply being outlapyed after the flop time after time. I got a chance to watch the final table this year at the WSOP 1500 Lm Holdem event,(actually missed registration for playing in the event myslef,Damn alarmclocks!) and thought it was some of the best poker I have seen in a while. Players extracting an extra bet or saving an extra bet, by breaking down a hand and anaylizing situations, instead of just pushing their stack in with 7,7 and hoping that if someone call thay are at least a coinflip.
I also played in two weekley 100 buyin limit tourneys at Foxwoods a month ago, and found the field to be allot tougher than their NL tournements ( 24th, four out of the $$$, and 4th, good cash) I understand that this is a small buyin tournement and not a great comparison to the top events, but I still think tht it supports my case that Limit holdem tourneys are made up a tougher for well rounded player, in general. Though limit eliminates allot of the strengths that make some of the top players great, such as preflop reads on lrge all in bets(john juanda), but i still think that limit presents a more diffiult challange than pounding on donkeys for the first 5 hours before actually playing competent players