View Single Post
Old 06-15-2005, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Can\'t get out of the starting gate (long and l/c)

[ QUOTE ]
I've been wanting to get additional resources like Harrington on Hold'em and Eastbay's Tools. However, I may have this catch-22 thing going. I feel like I should buy these out of my bankroll, once I turn a profit enough to afford it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't make any logical sense. You need to study and learn before you can start turning a profit. The investment in HOH will waaaaay more than pay for itself very, very quickly.

But, to be brutally honest, the $11's on Party are very beatable with just good solid hold 'em skills. I would think a decent low limit hold 'em player could beat the $11's with no previous tourney experience. The fact that you've gone through about $500 (50X buy in more or less) indicates that you don't have basic hold 'em skills. So, at this point I wouldn't recommend HOH. I would recommend a more basic hold 'em book like Hold 'Em Poker or perhaps Getting Started in Hold 'Em (note, I have not read GSIT, but it sounds like a beginner's hold 'em book.)

Read HEP, play a while, read HEP again section by section playing between reading each section, then go for HOH and do the same thing with HOH.

Given what you write, I don't think your problem is BR management (your poker BR is ovbiously not just what you have deposited at the moment since you can reload so your real BR is larger than you think it is), nor is it just variance if your total loss is in the $500 range -- it is almost surely a lack of basic hold 'em skills. This can only be remedied by study.