View Single Post
Old 06-14-2005, 05:41 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!
Default Re: \"Table Stakes\" rule in a B&M

[ QUOTE ]
This has happened to me the past couple of times that I have played live and I was wondering what the reason is:

Whenever I get up in chips, I want to cash out for some of them, but the dealer and the players at the table won't let me take just a portion of my chips off of the table, claiming a "table stakes" rule. What in the world is this rule and why is it called "table stakes"? Thanks in advance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your stake is what you have in front of you on the table; no more, no less. That's what is meant by "table stakes". Once you place money or chips in front of you, or win them, they stay there in play until either someone else wins them or you leave the table. You're not allowed to "rat-hole" your winnings before leaving the table; until then, everything is still in play.

Also, you may not add money or chips to your stake during a hand; you're only allowed to do so between hands. If calling a bet would put you all-in, you can't pull more money out of your pocket either to complete the call or to raise.

HTH,
Mike