View Single Post
Old 06-14-2005, 01:21 AM

Default Re: B&M Player I Can\'t Figure Out

[ QUOTE ]
I sat to the immediate right of this player for about 5 hrs. at the 20/40 holdem game at the Borgata. After talking with him extensively and seeing him play, here are some facts:

1. early 30's
2. regular in 20/40 40/80 80/160 at the Borgata - and appeared to be very respected by the locals for his play
3. well educated
4. raised UTG with q3s - told me it was to get action on his good cards from EP (played to showdown lost)
5. 3-bet J8s from MP (played to showdown won - 2 pair flop - filled on river)
6. Raised with AA in LP, called by BB, flop was A-rag-rag, BB checks, he checks, turn is a broadway card, BB checks, he checks gain, river is another broadway, BB checks - he bets, doesn't get called - shows me AA before he mucks it.
7. told me does not play internet poker
8. gave me a good tip on a small tell that I had - he was right and it was helpful.
9. he seemed very smart

What gives?

[/ QUOTE ]

Plays #6 and #7 make some semblance of sense in the right situation. As for the rest, such as 3-betting with J8s? I have serious doubts that someone who makes such plays with any frequency is a winning player. A 3-bet with this hand is 1-1.5BB wasted, depending on how well he plays postflop. That would kill the hourly win rate of even the best of players.

Then again, what the hell do I know? I'm just a lowly 2-4 online and 6-12 live player.