Thread: Over the hump
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2005, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Over the hump

Hi Aytumious,

I'm fairly new to playing online poker as a source of income (only have circa 3000 hands to date) and have been playing poker overall for a couple of months off a year.

The game I was first introduced to was PL Hold'em and truth be told, only in the last couple of months have I started playing Limit Hold'em.

I think my intro to PL HE as a newbie gave me a solid foundation and good instincts, as unlike limit, after the flop you can lose all your chips on a hand. (as you would know playing NL)

My problem in Limit online is 'crying calls" at the SD like you, especially on Party at lower limits because I don't want to feel some sucker is making a move on me.

I think Sam Farha said it best in the 2004 main event, he was in a hand against an unknown guy who was betting into him and Sam only had a pair of sixes. Sam said "You know you have to show the best hand?" and the 'random' guy caught an 8 on the river to make his pair and beat Farha. (if memory serves correct, it went like this)

I think Sam and you are in the same boat, obviously you don't respect your opponents and don't want a 'move' made on you by them.

I agree, and I'm the same.

If I was playing PL or NL for higher stakes or in real life, I'd be able to make laydowns easier and know I made a "good fold", but at low limits online, I have to see ... I have to see what this idiot has.

I don't have the answer for you, your experience exceeds mine twentyfold, however perhaps if you calculate exactly how much you are losing to 'crying calls' on average you may find it more worthwhile to perhaps play a bigger NL game either in real life or at another site (like Pokerstars) where you'd respect your opponents more and could say "I made a great laydown today against Phil Hellmuth" (That's if you play the big Limit game at UB with him and Thunder Keller - for illustrative purposes only)

I hope some of this was of help.