View Single Post
Old 06-13-2005, 04:12 AM

Default Re: So.... would you sit at this table.

[ QUOTE ]
So the whole system of economics is a giant con, designed to fool us all into thinking co-operation is actually a good idea? Umm.

Capital can be created and destroyed. Are you saying there's the same amount of "money on the table" as there was 1605? I'd love to see the mental gymnastics you have to use to try to prove that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll play Devil's Advocate. Sure, you look around you and see a better world than existed in 1600. But, what about all the injustice that occurred throghout those 400 years? We wouldn't be where we are without the suffering and misery of slavery. You wouldn't be able to buy cheap clothing if some 10 year old in Bangladesh wasn't working for 50 cents an hour. If millions of people hadn't died in all the wars over the years, we wouldn't have the political structures available to ensure our current prosperity. Not to mention the fact that sure, perhaps human society has actually advanced, but what about non-human society? What about all the aspects of nature that have been destroyed or forever altered so that we can enjoy SUVs and plastic? I think it's something to think about, anyways.