View Single Post
Old 05-23-2003, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Yet another he cracked my aces with crap post

kiddo,

I made 2 assumptions in my post based on the fact that a 2+2er posted this. 1) He has good raising standards, meaning UTG+2 open raises mean big pairs, AK, maybe suited big aces only. 2) That this guy will play aggressively with position post-flop.

That said, if I did accidently call with Q5 and hit the flop I am seeing the river. So, I check, bet or c/r the flop. If I bet, then I may get raised by hands I cannot beat, and very possibly some I can. If he has AA, I am putting $ in as an underdog, which I want to avoid. If he has AK, he is representing AA and getting me to perhaps consider folding a better hand, something I don't want to do.

Checkraising seems very dicey. My checkraise will surely get 3 bet by big pairs, so now I have put in 3SB to find out I am behind, which is a waste. Also, if this guy has any inclination to throw in a 3-bet to represent AA, then I am paying 3SB and then giving up the whole pot! If he folds the turn because I checkraised, I am perhaps giving up profit I could have gained on expensive streets.

Against an aggressive player who uses position well, I think this is a situation where you let him bleed some chips the times when you are ahead, and save some when you are behind (which will be more often if he has good pre-flop standards). Otherwise, you get hammered by good hands and give him a chance to correctly fold when he is beaten. If you think he'll keep betting then I say keep checking. Remember he has position so he has more tricks to employ to get you to make an incorrect fold.

Certainly the river checkraise is a must since he has not slowed down.

KJS