View Single Post
Old 05-23-2003, 01:49 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Lost and raising

okay i'm coming back in [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

played it great? bb is tight/aggressive, and it's unlikely he would be pumping a draw unless it's a BIG one (e.g. ajd or 35d), and even that would be silly because he would want to lock in as many customers as possible on the flop.

so he 3bet, got 4bet, and capped it. this does not even insure him a free card on the turn. he spent 2.5 big bets to possibly see the river, and he has no idea where he is in the hand. for 3 big bets he can:

1 - actually have a chance to win the hand by making him fold. how many people fold to a 5bet after 4betting, or fold the turn for 1 bet? raise/reraise action on the flop says 'please call me'

2 - know almost definitively if he's beaten

3 - have a great chance of showing down for exactly 3 bets if he's not badly beaten

all this by cold calling on the flop and raising the turn. if the bb 3bets he's almost veritably beaten badly - a set, ajd, 2 pair, etc - and he can fold with a clear conscience. if the bb calls, the river has an extreme chance of being checked to him in which case he can check it down unless a non-diamond king drops. raising the turn actually gives the bb the decision to fold, which he has not actually been presented with yet.

i don't describe people as tight/aggressive types if they raise draws short-ways with people to act behind them on flops like this. i don't think he's tight aggressive if this was just a flush or straight draw.