View Single Post
Old 06-12-2005, 11:18 PM

Default Re: The attraction of omaha

I have played omaha high only at boulder station. it's a helluva game, HUGE pots, MANY seriously IDIOTIC players. Example:

HUGE kill pot, nine players raised preflop. I am the only one who folded (true for most pots). Flop is some bullchit with a paired board. By the end of the hand, the pot has to be at LEAST $260. Winner of the pot? Runner-runner FIVE HIGH FLUSH. Winner has Kd 2c 3c 5c!!!!

So YEAH, omaha high only can be quite a game, with much profit potential.

The only problem is that the variance is going to be ENORMOUS because there is NO NUTS TILL THE RIVER. Basically, you need the nuts, or close to it, come the river, or you are frigged. Also, beware of having the nuts, but having so many redraws against you that your nuts aint worth peanuts.

As for omaha-8, there's a completely different story. If you want to play that game, I suggest the book by mark tenner as the place to start.

As far as O-8 goes, if you like playing with old crabby jerkoffs who like to argue, please, do play this game. I used to call it "argue-o-haw, " for obvious reasons. Another way I used to describe it was "a contest to see which idiot can get dealt A2 most often." Although the game might be quite beatable, it's rarely worth putting up with it to make the money.

Omaha-8 is SLOW, very slow. The constant split pots make it take considerably longer than hold'em, particularly if the dealer is a newbie. High only omaha doesn't really have this problem.

In addition, most O-8 is played with a half or full kill, and the criterion for a kill is simply that there be a scoop of 5 big bets or more. This means about 30-40% (estimation) of hands wind up being kills, as nearly every scoop winds up being a kill (there is often no low). That makes it play larger than it appears at first.

al