View Single Post
Old 06-12-2005, 04:50 AM

Default Re: Pump you Up (Pushups)

Interesting link, though the claim that Man refused to use his kicks because they were "too deadly" strains credulity to the utmost. The fight lasting 20 to 25 minutes also seems virtually impossible. Describing Wing Chun as an external style is highly arguable, at best. And the last paragraph especially seems a snide and very personalized repudiation of Lee rather than part of what would purport to be a serious article.

Oyama was a tough S.O.B. to be sure, but I doubt very much that he had anything even remotely like Bruce's hand speed, closing speed and general footwork, coordination and timing, or hand skills, though he was probably more powerful generally and was very likely a better kicker than Bruce was at many points of his short life, was almost certainly far superior with weapons, and could well have been a better grappler and better at throws and sweeps.

Oyama was in nowhere near as good physical condition, from the photos I've seen. But Bruce didn't have the kind of build and stature that could absorb blows all day and night; I'd give Oyama the edge there.

Just my reading, of course. I think it might have made for an interesting fight between two enormous, hell-bent egotists, neither of whom could even conceive of losing. God forbid Oyama land many solid blows, but I think he'd have a hell of a time trying to do it, and would be hard-pressed not to be absorbing some himself. Bruce's closing speed became the core of his fighting style, because he knew he couldn't stand around trading punches with Americans who outweighed him by 80 or 100 pounds even as teenagers. I doubt he'd be stupid enough to slug it out with Oyama, but if it got into a slugfest or good "ring generalship" got Bruce cornered, Oyama's chances would skyrocket.