View Single Post
Old 06-11-2005, 10:48 PM

Default Re: So.... would you sit at this table.

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, penguin...do you even know what a zero-sum game is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I know what zero sum games are. I'm not sure you do.

[ QUOTE ]

A zero-sum game is where there is a winner and a loser.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

A zero sum game is where the amount won by the winner is equal to the amount lost by the loser.

"Most economic situations are non-zero-sum" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-sum (along with every damn economics course I have ever taken)

Robert Wright - "society becomes increasingly non-zero-sum as it becomes more complex," [same article]

I stated in my post "There is no way human society (Life as far as you are concerned) is a zero sum game."

I guess I was wrong there, you obviously think we live by the law of the jungle (since a system of laws in a civilized soceity is another non-zero sum game, you can't think you live under that).

[ QUOTE ]
I defy you to tell me that the grand majority of life(by life, I don't mean just human beings)

[/ QUOTE ]

I am pretty sure I said that I did mean human beings. I'm a human being, and I'm assuming you are too. Do you seriously think that if I'm hungry I should just kill and eat you? If not, stop trying to use lions to justify your arguments.

[ QUOTE ]

Lastly, I would not make a habit of denouncing someone as a sociopath.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, but you think life's a zero sum game, so I should do whatever I can to "win" regardless of the people I hurt. Lets say calling you a sociopath causes you 1 unit of annoyance. If life was a zero sum game, then not calling you a sociopath would have caused me 1 unit of annoyance.

So 1) If life is a zero sum game, you can't complain about me calling you a sociopath, and 2) since not calling you a sociopath wouldn't have caused me one unit of annoyance (perhaps 0.1 units for having to change my post), there's another non-zero sum situation.

I'm not going to get (further) into personal insults, so snipped the rest of your post.