View Single Post
Old 06-11-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Pro Poker Players as Job Applicants

I love poker. I also agree that most people who win enough to support themselves exclusively via poker will have some desirable qualities in an employee: intelligence, adaptability, demonstrated ability to apply themselves to something and master it, willingness to take a risk and think outside the box.

But as someone who hires people to work on my team, under me, 2+ years as an online poker pro will not necessarily work in your favor when you apply for a job with me.

Here's what I think when I see this (and if you have NO work experience past college, multiply 1,2,& 3 by 5):

1)Has not had to get up early and be at work at a given time.
2)Has not learned to work in a team environment.
3)May have problems with authority.
4)Is there any chance of a gambling problem? We have a fiduciary responsibility in my industry and also have to be licensed by the state. My concern increases due to the fact that you are now looking for work; did you run down to zero?
5)In a month are they going to decide it's not worth it?

All that said, if I'm impressed with the person in the interview, and they are the right candidate, I'll hire them. But would I be more inclined to hire them than someone just out of college? Probably not.