View Single Post
Old 05-21-2003, 11:17 AM

Default Re: The NEW Isle of Capri poker room in Lake Charles

Perhaps I'll give 3/6/12 another shot. It just drives me crazy most of the time

I found that to be the case, particularly the first time I played it. You really have to adjust to the game and open up a little - especially from LP. Implied odds are higher in these spread limit games so drawing hands generally go up in value. When you can limp for cheap with suited connectors and Axs you can score big. The variance in that game is pretty high as well so you have to just be prepared for that. I try hard to play solid poker but you should be playing a few more hands than at a typical 4/8 type game - especially down there where -most- of the time it's pretty passive pre-flop.

The other thing that makes that place a mess is the jackpot. People chase that thing like crazy. I made a comment on a post a long time ago about a hand I played there where I folded a small pocket pair in MP with 2 bets to me. I had befriended an old lady sitting next to me and I giggle a little when I would have flopped a set and scooped a pretty good sized pot. She says to me, "You folded a pocket pair?!?!? You should never fold a pocket pair - that's a jackpot hand!".

If you can stomach the swings of playing in a no-foldem type spread game with a $12 pop on the end then it's a good game to play in as the majority of players that I've played against there are borderline atrocious. You just have to be patient and make a big hand now and then to keep your stack moving in a positive direction.

I remember seeing people make big mistakes by not popping the flop with big hands - two pair and flopped sets - only to get sucked out on by runner-runner flushes and straights. You have to make those types of players call more than 1 bet on the flop to make them go away. If they decide to stay at least you charged them the max to hang around and turn the Hoover on. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Slow playing anything but flopped quads or straight flushes in that game is suicide.

As for me, I occasionaly play with a group of guys that get together quite often. I play in friendly very low limit home games on the weekends with a few friends and their wives that play. It's more of a social thing than a hardcore poker game.

If you ever need an extra one or two in your game let me know. I'm always up for meeting some new local poker players.