View Single Post
Old 06-10-2005, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Two computer questions.

Hopefullty you can get to the root of this problem.

[ QUOTE ]
It spontaneuosly restarts about every 2-6 hours if I'm either playing at least 3 poker tables or downloading torrents.

[/ QUOTE ]

First suspect is one or more faulty stick(s) of memory. remove all but one 512mb stick, run computer for many hours, see if it restarts. If it does, remove the last piece of memory and try another one. If this behaviour occurs with all 4 memory strips, it is likely the memory is not the problem, which puts the suspicion on the CPU.

Important situation: Does it NOT restart when only playing one table, or when doing nothing (surfing net / email non CPU intensive tasks)? Bittorrent can be quite CPU intensive, as can poker when combined with PT / Playerview / GT+ etc.

If so I would lean towards CPU overheating / faulty CPU.

Please post the harware specification of this crashing computer, eg Pentium4 2.8GHz/AMD Athlon 2800+, ASUS A7N8X mainboard / PC Chips 810lmr mainboard - any hardware information helps. My guess would be a Pentium4, since it can take 4 memory sticks - if this is the case, the CPU should not be capable of overheating - Intel P4 CPUs will run (very slowly) with 1 broken fan if they must. Disregard overheating cpu comments i have made if this is the case, and certainly suspect the memory.

Have you made certain this is not a software problem, by formatting the hard disk and reinstalling Windows XP? It could always be a software issue, but this makes it sound kind of unlikely:
[ QUOTE ]
The restarting has been happening ever since I got it.

[/ QUOTE ]