View Single Post
Old 06-10-2005, 08:35 PM

Default Re: I need a Set of poker chips

Ok, cheap chips -- there are lots of options. Here are three.

1. faux clay dice chips-- about 6 cents a chip (plus shipping). Great feel, good weight, good stacking. Only real down side, is that they're a solid color with no edge spots. Many in the 'chip' forums rave about these. Great value.

2. Six Stripe "Soprano" Chips -- Less than 6 cents a chip (plus shipping). These are the chips that were used in the Soprano's TV series, and (I think) in the movie "The Cooler". Upside -- they look cool. Down side -- a bit light. There are two varieties of these -- the lighter one (listed as 7.5 or 8g) is the cheap one. The newer, heavy variety costs about twice as much.

3. Composite "Dice" Chips. You'll find these everywhere. Best I've seen is 0.1c for 500 chips, aluminum case, two decks of cards and dice. (Plus 39.95 shipping and handling) on a well known auction site. Even mentioning these may get me flamed, but for a beginner set, they're not that bad. Advantages -- Cheap, probably most popular chip set in the world) Feel like plastic, make a metallic clink when dropped, Don't stack as well as the rest. If you order from auction site, you may not be able to choose your color distribution.

Personally -- I'd go with the faux clay (actually, I DID go with the faux clay, they're all wrapped up and waiting for me for Father's day)-- with the case, etc. they're only a couple of dollars more than the composite dice, but IMO, a much nicer chip.

How to find them -- I'm don't think we're supposed to list commercial sites here. You can either google Faux Clay" or pm me. One site lists these for 8 cents a chip, but currently offers a 26% discount. It's the best deal I've found.