View Single Post
Old 06-08-2005, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Strategy for home game with bizarro structure...

you should introduct Anaconda to this group. I play in a wild game like that and they introduced me to this and I thought "another stupid luck game" but I think there is a lot of strategy and it's "crazy" enough that people like it.

Structure:
Ante and set a max "burn" (if you call to flip your last card and lose both hi and lo, you're oout this and deal again). Also set a max bet. we usually ante .25 and set burn at $2 or $2.50 (note: this game works great with 6 to 7 players).

deal: 7 cards, face down. Played as a hi-lo split game with straights and flushes invalidating low hands (so A2346 is best low).

play: pass 3 cards to your left, pick up your cards. pass two, pick up (sometimes we do a round of betting here). pass 1. Now discard two and set your cards face down in the order they will be uncovered. Everyone flips a card, hi hand leads betting (like stud). Now flip another, bet, another, bet, another, bet, etc. Remember if you call the fourth card bet and uncover your fifth card, you are due the burn if you lose.

Hi and lo spilit (you can't sweep). If only two left, the game is over, otherwise losing players pay burn and you deal again.

There's a lot of strategy of passing and then watching what everyone is uncovering. It's really fun to have a busted boat draw (2 pair) and win low. Usually takes a boat to get hi. Several times I've gotten a nothing much initially, but 3 cards to a middle straight flush. I will draw to that because people tend to pass middle (6-10) cards because they are either going hi or lo.