View Single Post
Old 06-08-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Big time fundamental errors (your action?)

Hi MPA,

Hand 1 is a fold, given that he may see you as willing to chase, or just bad/inexperienced (given the previous hand you mentioned). I would've played the AK very differently: I would re-raise to about 200 a lot of the time, and keep the lead in most cases. But, if I'd just called as you did pre-flop, I would never bet out on this flop. Leading into him after just calling should be done on a ragged A-high board, like A 9 6. That way, you can represent "any Ace", and he may pop you (he'll certainly at least call down) with AQ/AJ.

With this scary flop, I'd look to check-call the flop and turn, and re-assess (sometimes check-call, sometimes lead, sometimes check-fold) the river if 2 blanks fell. If a 4th spade hit, I'd bet right out about 2/3 pot, representing the flush. If he called, I'd check the river and feel OK, expecting him to check behind me if he has a smaller one-pair hand, not bluff, and bet if he has me beat. All of this is basically saying, "try to play a small pot with this flop".

Hand 2 is really tough. In general, I check to see what develops, but a lot of the time you can't continue. If your image is really strong at the moment, you can fire 400-500 and hope to not get played with. Usually, you're gonna have to muck this flop. Too many draws with almost no redraw for you in this hand, if you're even good right now. Seems weak, but you're going to have a hard time making this one stand up.