View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: PokerTracker: I commit heresy.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I found I was making bad judgments based on the perceived tendencies of opponents based on stats from too small a sample set.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to be clear, that's not my quote, that's Kurn's. However, I agree that it's very unlikely you will have a meaningful sample to base your opinion of someone else's play upon.

[ QUOTE ]

That's like saying "I kept shearing off lug nuts because I set my torque wrench at 500 pounds, so now I only use a tire iron." If you use a tool improperly, it's going to do harm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, which is why I don't think recommending PT to rank beginners is a good idea. That's the same reason I wouldn't recommend a torque wrench to the guy who is changing a tire for the first time.

[ QUOTE ]

Here's a tool that can help, it's your job to figure out how to use it correctly. I'm not going assume anything about your actual ability to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't share the cynicism here. Why should I recommend a tool to someone I think isn't going to gain from using it? Would you say, "Hey, kid, here's some dynamite. It's great for removing tree trunks and many other things. Have some blasting caps while you're at it. Good luck." I just don't see why we need to make PT out to be such an awesome thing for everyone.

It's an okay tool. That's it. Unnecessary and probably pretty confusing for most people.

Regards,

T