View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Set in unraised $100 NL pot - call $200?

[ QUOTE ]
If I have AK in early position, I will raise preflop. Then, if I hit my TPTK, I will check-raise. If you calculate it out, you will find that this check-raise will put my total investment so far in the 40 BB range. Of course, this depends on the number of callers, whether the bets were pot-size or half-pot, etc. but it gets you into a neighborhood. Note that if you do check-raise the flop and are re-raised, the opponent probably has TPTK beaten, which is why this is the number I choose for that hand.

Of course, these numbers vary greatly according to the opponents, my image, etc. but they represent a good starting point. The big value that they offer to me is that I can put in that raise with confidance, because I know that I will feel OK about losing 100 BBs (or whatever). If I have to think about it, then I am more likely to inspire the opponent to make a play at me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. This is the kind of framework that, it seems to me, one would have to have before one could feel ready to play deep stack poker -- of which OP put up a good example and with which I have no real experience. I guess one could also have a benchmark as a percentage of stack sizes, rather than multiple of blinds. But either way, like you said, a starting point.

Very helpful way of looking at deep, deep bets. Thanks again.