Thread: Pocket 99s
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Pocket 99s

Please excuse the check and fold on the flop. I was multi-tabling for the first time and went into a coma. However, while reviewing the hand after the fact, I found that it would have been very difficult to deal with even if I had attempted to play it.

The pot was fairly large because of a pre-flop raiser.

A straight flush draw flopped.

I'm 2nd to act against a possible straight and possible flush (almost certainly draws to 1 or both if they aren't already out), 5 potential overcards to my pocket 99s, and a pre flop raiser that could already have me beaten with a higher pair.

Obviously, even if I am ahead at this point I am in very deep trouble with only 2 outs to a redraw and a million ways to lose. I may also already be toast.

A bet on my part would do nothing to protect my hand. In fact, even if I bet and the pre-flop raiser raised me, that would not protect my hand from open ended straight and flush draws. The best it would do is knock out a few overcards that weren't also flush draws. In fact, if he raised me I'd be tempted to fold because it could be an indication he had a pair (which most likely would be higher than mine because he was the pre flop raiser).

I also don't see how a check raise to protect could work from this position.

Usually when I'm in a situation like this, if I'm going to play, I try to get myself into a situation where I wait for the turn to raise to protect my hand. From this position, I don't see how that was possible either.

Any suggestions?

Now let's assume I bet and the pre flop raiser raises.

Do I fold on the assumption that he probably has me beat?

If I bet, he calls and someone else raises with either a STR8/Flush value raise or a raise because they already have it then what?

It seems to me that if I bet I was likely to get involved in a huge pot that I was likely to lose (and could even be drawing practically dead in).

However, check/fold seems so darn weak that it probably wasn't right either.

I will post the rest of the hand and further questions afterwards.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, BB folds, Hero folds.