View Single Post
Old 05-15-2003, 11:12 PM

Default Re: Raise flush on river when opponent is unconcerned?

hi josh w
you can't raise in with the 53s. i know that hfap says it's o.k.; you can also reraise for the free-card. but if you read hfap thoroughly, you would understand that you must adjust as you move up. the players you're playing will not loosen when you showdown the 53. when you come firing out with KK UTG they'll fold. they will know you have the KK. now, in a low limit game against tourists from maude's sewing circle coming in for fun and knits, yea, hfap says open raise with the 53, henrietta will give you action all night long. but about the L.A. 15-30 game, mr.d.s. says in the very beginning,"we're not language experts" meaning that it's possible that they may communicate something under the erroneous assumption that you are capable of differentiating when and when not to use a particular strategy. and i don't have hfap in front of me, but no way does anyone tell you to open raise with 53 in a tough aggressive L.A. game, unless you're mike l. but how do you put that in writing? how does d.s. or m.m. or r.z. express that? if you read hfap thoroughly, you'd know that your raise in with 53 tells the L.A. crowd not to call you when you fire out from UTG for at least the next hour or two. they will begin reading you for boredom. that's what your play tells the experienced players to start doing. when josh w. begins to show tells like he's getting bored, reraise him from UTG, but don't start looking for those tells for about an hour, maybe two. between now and then, when he comes in, fold.

now, mike l. will know to fire again with 43s from UTG to get the fold because he just showed that he's tightening because he just showed down 53s. mike knows when he fires into these guys with 43s, they're going to fold. but if mike were playing the sewing circle, he would never do that because henrietta will have the foresight to reraise him. and if hfap attempted to clarify when and when not to raise from UTG with 53s, it would necessarily have to be hfapb requiring heavy duty shelving. the answer would be listed under sec. mike l./ hold em for advanced players brittanica. hfap is not the library of arts and tommy angelo. you've got to know this.