Thread: Big Issues
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 10:58 AM

Default Re: Big Issues

[ QUOTE ]
If you think that federal money is destroying public schools, then school vouchers are not something you should be supporting. School vouchers would turn private schools into clones of public schools. Take a look at private universities in this country, for example. They are beholden to the federal aid money from Washington, and Washington loads them down with pages and pages of regulations- gender equality in sports, etc.

The SAME thing would happen if you tried to implement a nationwide voucher system. The federal government would tell the private schools what should be taught and what other policies to implement- and by then the school would be beholden to the federal aid and private/religious secondary and elementary schools would become like our public secondary and elementary schools. Do you really want that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't support having federal govt involved in any way. State governments should do no more than provide a no-string-attached voucher which provides admission to any school.

Private schools that take vouchers could easily be required to have an open admissions policy. I would have no problem with that. (But I believe the state should have *no* say whatsoever on the school's discipline and expulsion policies. This is something else that parents can vote on with their feet.)

natedogg