View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 09:25 AM

Default Re: 4 hands, 3 big slicks, 10th place

btw I may be one of the few people on this forum who think so, but I really don't like making large open raises with a hand like AK. I mean I really really don't like open raising to 70-80 or whatever when the blinds are 10-15. I'd rather do so with a hand like QQ, but even so I think it's best to just raise to 40-50 (I usually raise to exactly 45) with almost all opening hands in round 1 in every buyin of sit and go.

This is of course my personal preference and obviously not the clear correct way to play. However it makes your decisions postflop a lot easier, especially with a hand like AK. You can make a continuation bet against one opponent without risking too big a % of your stack, (Have fun raising to 75, getting one caller and having to make a 100-125 chip bluff bet as opposed to a 65-75 chip bet) AND if you get more than one opponent and miss the flop, you can get away cheaply. Also when you flop top pair, it's less likely that someone has you beaten as opposed to having an overpair with AA, so I don't feel that it's as important to protect your hand preflop.

I also like to play this way with QQ+JJ, because I feel I am generally good at figuring out whether my hand is good, and the deeper stacks give me more betting leverage to find out where I'm at. If I make a huge open raise, I basically lose the chance to make smaller information type bets on the flop.