View Single Post
Old 06-07-2005, 08:02 AM

Default Re: \"I won\'t look at my cards...I\'ll just look at you.\"

I'll take this opportunity to semi-hijack your thread and tell one of my favorite stories ever...

Last November I played at the World Poker Finals main event at Foxwoods. As I was surveying the room from my seat, I noticed Phil Laak sitting at a table across from mine. This was my first time playing in a 10K buy-in, so I was still pretty starstruck from seeing all of these pros. But then I realized something. Phil Laak was not, in fact, Phil Laak. Just an imposter. He had the same gray sweatshirt, hood pulled low, dark sunglasses... but indeed, this was not Phil Laak. And how did I figure this out? Because at the same table, two seats to the imposter's right, was the real Phil Laak, donned in gray sweatshirt, hood pulled low, and dark sunglasses. I felt so embarassed for this kid that all I could do was cringe. I mean, you emulate the guys that you see on TV as some sort of perceived intimidation factor, I guess. But then to look to your right and see the guy you're imitating... It must have been uncomfortable for both of them... It was awkward enough for me...