View Single Post
Old 06-06-2005, 07:04 PM

Default Re: PokerTracker: I commit heresy.

[ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, this seems to go against all advice I've read here on the subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's why it's heresy. I mean, everyone knows PT is the cat's pajamas.

[ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't it help the low limit players, exactly?
Instead of thinking in terms of limits, maybe you should think in terms of Big Bets. I play low limits, but don't fixate on dollars and cents, rather I'm concerned with BB's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe me, I think in BBs. Since I play 1/2 up to 15/30, thinking in dollars would be weird. However, I don't think my initial post has anything to do with dollars or BBs. I'm actually saying that PT can make people MORE results-oriented. In fact, people shouldn't be thinking in dollars or BBs until they have played a lot. Why? Because it doesn't mean much.

[ QUOTE ]

Even at low limits PT will tell me if I'm playing hands out of position, if I'm not aggressive enough, etc. I think PT is useful for ALL serious players and students of poker, regardless of the limits he or she chooses to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

To know if you're playing hands out of position, you really have to delve into the stats and even the, it doesn't tell you that. It tells you that you played a hand in a particular position, but it doesn't tell you anything about the game texture that could make that correct. Let's say you look and see you held AJo 20 times. Twice you played it UTG, once you raised and once you limped. What does that tell you? It tells me nothing.

After about 10K hands, PT rated me as Tight/Aggressive. I already know I was playing that way. I didn't really learn anything there.

I agree with Kurn that PT has a place, but it's not for the regular guy who plays one or two tables. A guy like davidross or another online pro absolutely must use PT, but the beginner will only be led astray or confused by the stats and the regular, casual player will really get nothing out of it.

Realistically, if you're not an online pro player, what do you use PT for?

The one thing I think PT is great for is hammering home how much you pay in rake. It's obscene and sickening to look at.

Regards,

T