View Single Post
Old 06-06-2005, 06:58 PM

Default Re: My TruePoker WSOP 120K Hands Challenge - Update # 6

Hey ODoyle. Keep up the hard work.
Look forward to perhaps meeting you there if you don't lose your vision and can somehow find your way around.

HOH is a GREAT book to get. I'm learning a lot from that book.
Volume 2 is out now so you may want to think about ordering that too.
Also check out the MTT and even the WPT forums.
Sklansky recently posted a tournament tactics question in WPT that got my brain jogging a bit on various ideas.
And some of the MTT threads are good too.

When I qualified for the PPM cruise I had even less live-tourney experience than you.
I had played in 2 live tourneys before that:
July, 2003 - $35 rebuy at Gold Strike, Tunica at 4am. Finished 26th out of 27.
Jan, 2005 - Single table satellite for $1k entry-chip at WPO in Tunica (to prelim event). Finished 5th out of 10.

Between these two tourneys I had less than 2 hours of live-tourney experience.

Before the cruise I played all kinds of different tournaments on Empire and Stars. I was espeically nervous because the PPM is a limit-tourney and I am less familiar with those.

Anyway, just playing tourneys online for 3-4 weeks or so...3 or 4 at a time...really helped my game. I learned to be patient and when to get aggressive and how to work with my short-stack and with my big-stack, etc etc.
It was especially helpful because I was also trying to rack-up the VIP points on Empire.
By week 3 or 4 of non-stop tourneys I was feeling REALLY good about my game and comfortable in all situations.

Obviously you might be too frazzled from your long stretch on True to do something like this...but it REALLY helped for me.

I finished 177th out of 740 on the cruise and won $5.2k. Again, I felt the online-tourneys that I played over and over again REALLY helped my comfortability in the live tourney.

Sherriff Fatman also posted about his first live-tourney experience somewhere in there several months back and what he did and thought going in. I'll try to find the link to that.

Finally - you don't seem to want to give away your location but I noticed your home-town on your TruePoker avatar (you can change it to 'none' if you like by just 'editing' your personal info).

I'm in Memphis now but grew up in Oxford, OH...went to Talawanda H.S. and then Miami (OH) University and then worked at Miami as well.
Have been to your home town on several occasions. Your high-school's soccer team always kicked our ass.

Good luck with your final 20k+ hands.
Have we confirmed that you also get to use all the true-points you are earning for a trip to the Bahamas or back to Vegas?? Or do you have to spend all the true-points for the WSOP trip??