View Single Post
Old 06-06-2005, 01:41 PM

Default So im a new guy to Poker and oh BOY did I get eaten on line.. advise.

Ok here’s my story.
I put Poker to the side as some thing to learn and after reading a few books using Poker academy for a while and thinking I was the new Jimi Hendrix of cards I took my self off to my local (semi local its quite far) internet cafe.

Well I fired up my William Hill account, set my wall paper (desktop wallpaper) to a cut I took of the 80 shark hands, and then went about trying to play tight aggressive.

I don’t want to bore any body but I was tired after a weeks work (Friday night) and I just did not hold my own, I had a few periods were I played thought good poker (I think) and seem to go up ($50-up to $160) but then all to soon I started chasing the cards and hoping my card would come through then bang Id be down to $39.99, id tighten right up get a few good hands then be up to $60 then.. Oh enough of this.

I ended up leaving the next morning not knowing how I lost so much money when my pervious few visit were just so easy (real money yes!)

Here is a few of my thoughts.
- I played tight passive and when I did win it was never big enough and it just never covered my loses which were often due to my lack of Discipline

-I saw one user enter the room to my left to seats I think and any way he came in with about $20, he almost bet every hand he got (seemed like it) and the last I saw before he left about 40mins later was he was up to $400, people in the room were asking if he was cheating he was that lucky!!

-don’t play when you’re tired
-Know when you’re not playing good poker.
-Play with money you can afford to lose.

Now on to a couple of questions to all the great poker people out there, im real glad I can post here and have other people who I expect knows what it feels like to lose reply.

When I left that session I felt like death I could not believe how easily the money dripped out of me to other online players it was a joke, I felt like my insides had been turned inside out on one hand I lost LOL :-)

I am going to be buying a certain poker odds calculator shortly and from what I can see that’s what I need, I am used to the hand evaluator in the poker academy software that’s set to good tournament play from what I understand.

I know im a fish but Id basically like to be able to sit down and make a simple %20 every time I play, I think its wise to use said program in the real small rooms or even the play money rooms were people at least try to play correctly, this is were I think over time say a 6hour or 9 hour session I can try to drag it out and if I have a few fish come my way then I should by the math eat them.

I’m very new, I enjoy poker if you want a real laugh to rap this post off I am afraid of Texas Hold no limit I am not going near that game for a few years until I can have some sort of defence to the ripping I took, I am still nursing the gapping gash which once resembled an orifice.

I am thinking about sticking to the short handed (6) tables, playing it by the numbers the occasional manual over ride and flutter if I fancy it but I just don’t have it as a player of no limit poker, not yet any way.

Has any one got any general advise input or other I lost and lost bad, I don’t want to throw money away but I enjoy poker, no I really enjoy poker nothing else has grabbed my attention and raised my heart beat like poker, poker is sweet cruel and some times very funny, but most of all I Enjoy playing and enjoy the online company of poker the result can be seen with that tally that reads £--- or $---,

Flame away but I’ve shared and Id likes to read what others have to say.

Nigel
(Reader of insider secrets of poker)
(Watcher of 2003 WSP)
(Fan of the way jonnie Chan won the 1988 WSP