View Single Post
Old 06-05-2005, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Good Post

[ QUOTE ]
Hard to say they contribute to society from an industry driven by greed. Im referring to those who play for a living, not players who play for entertainment. Almost like society slugs [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. Poker needs more people like Barry Greenstein. Not saying they should give their winnings to charity, but if you are winning hundreds of thousands a year you can easily do some good.
Just my 2cents

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Barry Greenstein is just as greedy as anyone else despite his much publicized charitable contributions. I know he's the hero of the moment on 2+2 right now, but if you listen to a lot of what he says you can see the reason he plays poker is for money.

Once he got so much that he was living next to movie stars, then he started making donations. That's fine. It's great that he does that. But if you've got 20 million in the bank and a house that's worth 10mill (or whatever- I don't know the numbers), a few hundred K here and there (incidentally, for exact numbers go to his website) is not going to break you. It's not like the guy is starving to death and living in a commune sacrificing his material well-being in order to help others. In fact, and I know this will get me flamed, but I think someone who publicizes the amount of money he gives to charity might be doing it for more complex reasons than simply "being a great guy".

Call me cynical (or an a-hole if you prefer) but I am a little suspicious of this whole robinhood thing.