View Single Post
Old 05-13-2003, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Homer vs JTG, checkraise turn hoping better overcards fold.

kiddo, I agree with the others. This isn't something I will try against unknown opponents. Against those players I will either give up and check-fold the turn, or bet the turn hoping that they fold their overcards. Against JTG in this hand, I knew there was a good chance that he had only overcards and he knew there was a good chance that I had only overcards. Given his call on the flop, there was close to a 100% chance that his overcards were better than mine if he had overcards as opposed to an overpair. If I just bet the turn he would likely call me down with AQ/AK, knowing that with this ragged board I could be trying to push him off of overcards with my overcards. I felt the only chance to get him to fold a better hand would be by checkraising. Given my (incorrect) read (that he would be overcards when checked to), I feel that I made a good play since:

-- JTG is willing to fold to a checkraise
-- The standard play of betting out would not get him to fold his overcards given the play of the hand to that point

It could definitely be argued that I have a check-fold on the turn because his call on the flop likely means an overpair (since he would probably play back at me with big overcards and would fold weak overcards).

There is some chance that my play during this hand was FPS, but I don't think so since I feel like I thought out each decision before I made it. Hopefully I didn't make the fancy play just for the hell of it.

-- Homer