View Single Post
Old 05-12-2003, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Fox News Outed

Heh. Fox news when I saw it had Oliver North as one of its embedded correspondents. He was going on about the "terrorist death squads" (ie Iraqi troops) his unit had encountered. Apart from the absurdity of such a statement coming unchallenged from Mr Iran Contra himself (I mean, I think that may have been the absurdest thing I've ever scene, it almost made me cry - it was as if the Simmpons and the real world had switched places), how much less impartial can you get than having a man close to the administration as one of your reporters? I also liked a bit I saw in which the anchor man, on being shown horrific footage of alleged looters being beaten with rifle butts before being taken away and shot by other Iraqis, said "Yeah but these guys are thieves." That's alright then.

As for the war ending quickly, absolutely everyone was predicting a bloody battle in Baghdad that would last some time, that the Iraqi plan was to draw the coalition into Baghdad and have the real fight there. Al-Jazeera was hardly unique in this.