View Single Post
Old 06-03-2005, 01:24 PM

Default Re: TT in the SB Button raises pre-flop

Given your relative position, C/R just forces the field to call two-cold. With the exception of the flush draw (which you can't fold anyway) all your opponents are drawing nearly dead -- your focus should emphasize getting the most money into the pot and much less effort made to protect your hand. Leading with the intention of three-betting a raise is much more likely to get chips into to pot on this non-threatening board. Depending on my reads of the players in between Hero and Button and the action after my initial bet, I might lead and just call a Button raise, and then lead again on the turn hoping to trap the 'tweeners for at least one more BB. C/R the turn just scares away those drawing dead (but not aware that they are drawing dead).

One of the principle advantages of sets (other than that they are a strong hand!) is that they are disguised -- a lead and even a 3-bet is not likely to convince your opponents that you've hit top set -- they'll much more readily believe they are drawing live to TPTK, two-pair, or a flush draw played aggressively.