Thread: Patience
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Re: Patience

Along the lines of the "patience" idea, like most of you, I play tight in the first few levels. Because of this, I often have a stack of ~750-850 in level 3 or 4. But that's okay, I'm used to it, I still have some FE, so I don't mind this at all.

The problem that I run into sometimes is after I HAVE doubled up early and we're in the middle game, say level 4 with a few people left. I'm sitting there with a stack of t1800 or so, and I'm conflicted: do I "coast" a little, wait for hands, or push the smaller stacks around a little. It's a very fine line, because the smaller stack, with say 750-900 (the guy I'm used to being), if he's smart, is ready to make a play for all his chips. And he has enough to take a bite out of me. So, I'm conflicted...

Every situation is different because of all the variables I know (my cards, relatvite chipstacks, postion, etc.), but when I'm in this spot, I'm asking myself: "Am I being patient or am I not using my larger stack as power? Am I being patient or playing too conservatively?" Like I said, probably because I'm more used to it, I'm actually more comfortable playing as a shorter stack. Huge flaw in my game, I realize, but does anyone else run into this?

Recently, there was a post about what makes you the angriest: bad beats or running into monsters. For me, the answer is easy: it is when I get myself into good position and try to get aggressive (with 5 or 6 players left) but piss away my chips and finish OTM by playing stupid and picking fights that I didn't need to pick.