View Single Post
Old 06-03-2005, 11:10 AM

Default Re: party 5/10. tpgk, but trapped in the middle

so i don't see really the defense purposes of betting. maybe i get some value, but it's on a hand that admittedly can't stand a whole lot of heat.

Um, cause you'd rather be driving the betting than calling it? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Seriously, this is pretty fundamental. If the board was more threatening then I'd say it's a good idea to let them drive the betting and you just call out bluffing. Keeps the pot small and doesn't have a high risk of you getting blown off your hand. But on that crappy board? You should be driving that betting cause if you're not:
- You run the risk of someone catching a stupid two-pair/trips on you for free. With two opponents there could be as many as 10 cards in the deck that kill your hand.
- Your betting allows you to figure out easily when you're not best (you get raised), but checking tells you nothing about the strength of your hand.
- You possibly miss out on value you'd get from morons who will call you with weaker hands (like the donk calling with bottom pair, who would have paid off a river bet too).

That was a p*ssy check on both the turn and the river. Bet $200 - $250 split between both streets and get paid.

- C -