Thread: Cold Calling
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2005, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Cold Calling

[ QUOTE ]

1. I've got a small pair and i'm getting good odds on my set. I think a 3bet here would narrow the field and actually make my odds worse.

[/ QUOTE ]
From late position, sure. If you're getting proper odds on your set... which I would say is 4-6 other people in the pot
with you. From earlier position (where you can't be sure you will get big enough volume in the pot to justify the investment) or in a tighter game, its worth it to just throw the small pair away.
[ QUOTE ]

2. I'm in a pot where a 3bet won't narrow the field and i'm very likeley to show down the hand. Say your up against a player who raises 20% of the time and shows down 60% of the time. If i can't isolate us and my hand needs improvement, a 3bet here is pointless. Or say your up against a player who has to have a large pair to raise the pot and he's not dropping it, and you have jts and the the pot is going to be seven way. No need to put more money in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, if the pots going to be seven-way and not three bet a hand like JTs is probably worth a cold call (SSHE would argue that it is). But the thing is, you can only "know" that from late position, after several people have already entered the pot.

[ QUOTE ]

Almost all of my preflop and flop raises are designed to protect my hand, next is value and information.

[/ QUOTE ]
Makes sense, but I think when someone says "player X cold calls too much" he's talking about a player who cold calls with hands that he should be folding like A6s, 33, 89s from early position (or when there are not enough people in the pot) and hands like KTo, QTo, JKo, 89o, A8o from any position.

[ QUOTE ]

As the game gets tighter your aggression has to increase because of the chance of your opponent folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a tighter game, cold calling is almost never correct. There simply arent that many hands that can:
A. be played profitably for two bets with only one or two other opponents in the pot and
B. Do not demand a value raise. Yeah, there are still a few (AQs, for example), but most hands with which you can call a raise in a tight game make more money when reraised.